Monday, August 3, 2009

Tales of p2p 2 (haha it's like a pattern!)

One day we got to learn some Greek dances. We got split randomly into two groups. My group danced first then went to the beach next to the dance studio and the others went to the beach first. I was fortunate, we got to cool off after a workout while the other group got to have a layer of sweat caked onto their skin. Yummay!

Towards the end of the dancing lesson our instructor, who had a raging unobrow, told us that the boys had to pick a girl to dance with. Travis picked Kelsey, Hudson picked Sara (she's been dancing since she was 1), then it was Alex's turn to choose. I discreetly looked away, hoping he wouldn't pick me. I'd a hundred times rather have a girl than have him. So obviously he picked me.

KBiggYGvIHVIHVkhv

Alex is Max's brother (from Kennebunk, not Max on the trip), and since they look almost identical it made me nauseous just being around him. Having to touch him had me hating myself for a long while. That wasn't a pleasant experience, but it's over now. The sad thing was that I saw Jim frown when Alex said my name. He later hinted that he was going to pick me if he had gotten the chance.

WHY ALEX :(

While my group was at the beach, eyeing each other in our prude-ish, ambassadorial bathing suits (us girls couldn't show our stomachs, it was pretty bad), the other kids were breaking a sweat in the stuffy dance studio. Max misheard the instructor when he told him to say "Opah!" and instead repeated "Opar!" every few minutes. This continued for a long time before anybody had the heart to tell him the error of his ways. It turned into a running joke (the best kind of joke). Instead of saying cheers we would just raise our glasses and yell "Opar!"

Another funny thing that happened was this.

Travis calls his grandpa "Grandpar!". He's really close to his family. During one of the bus rides he said "Grandpar! He's an awesome guy, I miss him." then completely out of the blue he stated "He can make a mean root beer float."

Thank the stars for random humor.

He also really liked Fire Burning, which is why we played that song a lot. We visited an Italian school and most of the kids had tan skin, dark hair and dark eyes. There was one kid who was pale and had red hair. The other boys who attended the school were making fun of him. At one point Travis got really pissed off about this, stating "I don't like bullies." he told the leaders but they didn't do anything, so he yelled "Sara the vegan! Come over here!" I approached him as he said "See she's got red hair and she's totally hott! It's cool to be ginger." He tried his best to help out the kid but after a minute it was apparent that they didn't understand English. He was getting really worked up so he quoted the song by saying "I need to be cool like fire."

Which made us all think about how that doesn't make the least bit of sense. haha yay dance music lyrics!

One of our conversations on the bus went like this:

Travis: Have you seen Hot Rod?

Sara: Yeah I love that movie!

Travis: Well I haven't.

Then he quoted one of my favorite scenes.


Sara: I love how you can quote all these movies you've never seen

Travis: Me too, quoting movies like Hot Rod and Napoleon Dynamite is my life. Did you know Jon Heder's Mormon?

He then monologued Napoleon Dynamite for at least 5 minutes. It was hilarious because here was a real life human being who could flawlessly recite each and every word to a movie so stupidly ingenious as this. I was cracking up the entire time. Because you know you've found someone great when they can do the accent perfectly.

The last few days when we were in Rome we stayed in a Holiday Inn. It was the only normal hotel. Before that we were in the sketchiest hotel alive where the lights flickered and the hallways were narrow and frightening. Great fun.

But at the hotel you wouldn't find in a horror film, the guys started having these really intense "pillow fights". They would take off their shirts, go into Travis, Max, and Frank's room and wrestle each other in the dark. At one point me, Kelsey, and Sara were in our room (which is directly above Troy, Klebage, and Jim Sobanik bubonic jump up on it electronic's room) and Jim had his shirt off. Kelsey asked "what are you guys doing?" and he replied "wrestling other men in the dark with our shirts off...and honey." to be awkwardly funny.

And when we were outside their room (we couldn't go in because Francie and DBB (Kelsey) had already gotten in trouble and almost sent home for being in a guy's room. They didn't really tell us it was against the rules 'til afterwards...) Klebage would randomly open and close the door, so sometimes they could see and other times Sweet Pete would hit his head on the nightstand, Max would pile drive Jim and Travis into Frank's broken bed, or someone would hit Travis's glasses so they almost break in the darkness. It was great fun. At one point Klebage threw a shoe and it hit Travis right in the face. He almost passed out, but me and Sara air kissed him to make it better. Kisses make everything better.

I find Jim to be very profound. We were talking about SAT scores and it was evident that he got a very high score, but was being humble about his intelligence. To boost his confidence I said "You're smart, you're taking all AP classes." and he replied with "Sometimes I feel dumb for taking them."

He knows that kids forget most of what they learn in school and that most of the time we spend there is virtually useless because of this. It would be fine if we were learning things that were important. In 20 years we'll look back on our education and wish we had tried harder but only because we can't remember what we were taught. The system needs some work, it's not our fault.

The point is he has his priorities in order even if he takes all AP classes. He lives and breathes music, wants to be an engineer, and knows how he's getting there while still leaving time for his friends and hobbies. I admire him.

Another conversation we had went like this.

"You wore your glasses today! I like them."

"Thanks, Sara the vegan."

"Thanks for appreciating my compliment to you."

"Thank you for noticing my appearance."

"Thank you for wearing your glasses today."

Then he grinned and said, "You're welcome."

It stuck with me for some reason and I don't know why, so it must be important. Maybe I was meant to share it with all you folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment