Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The cast of p2p

The trip was amazing. It's probably the best time I've had in my life. I met some wonderful people, got to see great things, it was a perfect chunk of my summer. Now that I'm back in the states there's a part of me that's a little under the weather (I forgot how cold Maine is), but I'm trying to stick some genuinely good advice.

Don't frown because it's over, smile because it happened. ~Dr. Seuss

It's going to take me forever to sort through all the pictures I took, so those will trickle onto facebook eventually. In the mean time you can correlate the few pics I've uploaded with the names I'll be mentioning.

One of the girls I got to know is named Sara. I love her, she's awesome, we even have a handshake. She's had such a rough past but she still smiles like youthful optimism. I find this very admirable. She lives in Cape Elizabeth, so that's not terribly far away. Hopefully I'll still be able to see her. I still miss her, of course. Why can't everybody who's wonderful just live in Kennebunk so I can see them whenever I want? How incredibly selfish of me to wish haha

Two girls I befriended, they're pretty much a pair, are Kelsey and Francie. They're great, and they live in Scarborough and Saco so I'll be able to chill with them. Lots of inside jokes started with us. I love them. Kelsey's a girly partyer and Francie's a tomboy, a perfect combination. Francie works at Funtown so whenever we go there we must look for her in the food stands. Kelsey used to work at Funtown too at the front gate. It's just a town of fun people! (that was some kind of pathetic play on words)

One of the guys I got close to is named Travis. We actually had deep one-on-one conversations with each other, and I can't say that about most people. We would sit next to each other against the hallway wall and as an emotional subject came up, he would put his arm around me when I cried. If someone walked by and interrupted us he would say "We're kind of talking here, so if you don't mind-" and politely give them their que to leave. It was really sweet. He wants to be a psychiatrist, so he likes talking intimately with people. We discussed lots of things like our pasts, his religion (I asked 'cause I didn't know anything about Mormonism), our families, I even told him I was bi. I was relieved to find out he's not against homosexuality like facebook told me he was. (just some pre-trip facebook stalking to find out who's too cool for school and who's lamer than Mondays) He lives almost 2 hours away, so I'm going to miss him a lot. He's probably one of the most caring, accepting persons I've ever met in my life. Plus he's absolutely hilarious.

Max is a funny guy, but since he has dial up he can't get facebook which means I probably won't talk to him until the reunion. Lots of the guys (besides the equally comical Travis) didn't like him. They thought he was obnoxious and annoying. I didn't find anything wrong with him. I mean to say that I wouldn't want to be dating the guy but he's not bad. He always smelled good, though. And he's on the football team, so he has to be in shape. Those were some great pluses. haha

Jim was a pretty laid-back, funny in a slightly awkward way, classic rocker. We would sing Beatles songs on the long bus rides. Sometimes he would have these pms-y moments where he would make fun of me but I'm hoping he didn't mean it. A few of us would say this rhyme every 5 seconds or so that involved his awesome last name. Jim Sobanik bubonic jump up on it electronic. (We also listened to that song Apache (Jump on it) a lot, along with various others)

There were definitely a lot of other people I was friends with, but I'll explain them when they come up in stories. I'm going to try writing down as many funny or memorable moments as possible in future entries.

Probably one of the most important things I learned from this trip is one doesn't really know a person at first glance. People usually don't express themselves the way they really are, and they can't tailor themselves to anybody. You may think that you know someone because of the clothes they wear, but that doesn't mean anything. Not in this world. It takes a long time. Appearances are deceiving, and so are opinions and views and haircuts and jokes and the way lips curl into smiles. But hearts are wonderful things, and I'm sure life will treat us all well. We have the honor, the privilege, to know and love amazing people with magnificent shock lacing every step of the journey. Talk to someone. You might be surprised.

3 comments:

  1. Ah... this post does take me back! Except with my P2P experience, I was the weird outcast until halfway through and I settled down with some friends. xD

    Sounds like you had an awesome time! How big was the group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The group widdled down from 40 to 30 kids by the time we left, I think because of the economy y'know? I remember when you left, oh my God I missed you so much! Reading the blog posts about your trip was like the highlight of my day haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. i barely could read the last half of this blog post because of that fantastic play on words

    ReplyDelete